Back to Policies List


Course Repeat, Graduate

Type: Enrollment
Effective Date: 1/20/2014

Graduate students do not normally repeat courses. However, if a grade of “C”, "D", or "F" is received in a graduate course, students may repeat that course with advisor approval.

Courses repeated under the regular grading scale do not replace the grade for the prior course, and both grades are used in the computation of the cumulative grade point average (GPA).

Courses repeated under the P/F grading scale do replace the grade for the prior course, and only the repeated course grade will be used in the computation of the cumulative GPA.

Units earned for repeated courses may only be used once to fulfill graduation requirements.

Graduate students who wish to repeat a course must submit the Graduate Course Repeat Enrollment form, also available on the Graduate College or Registrar’s Office website.

Students can appeal or petition for exception

Graduate students may petition for an exception to any academic, non-grade-related, graduate regulation for which no specific appeal or petition process exists. Petitions should be submitted, in writing, to the Associate Dean of the Graduate College. When applicable, the student’s advisor and department chair may endorse the petition letter. In some specific instances, utilizing the Graduate Academic Appeal Policy is more appropriate.

Students should contact the Associate Dean of the Graduate College for clarification on which process to initiate.

Possible Impacts of Repeating Courses

Students who are veterans, athletes, international students, recipients of tribal funding, etc., may be affected by additional rules associated with course repeats. Check with appropriate departments for more information.

Related policies:

    Back to Policies List